Auburn University was established in 1856 as the East Alabama Male College, 20 years after the city of Auburn's founding. In 1872, under the Morrill Act, the school became the first land-grant college in the South and was renamed the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Alabama. In 1899 the name again was changed, to the Alabama Polytechnic Institute. Finally, in 1960 the name of the school was changed to Auburn University, a title more in keeping with its location, and expressing the varied academic programs and larger curriculum of a major university.
Auburn University is committed to preparing our students for today's global economy. The Office of International Programs site provides information on the international presence of Auburn University such as the Office of International Education, which provides International Student/Scholar immigration advising, study abroad options and more, information on initiatives sponsored by the academic units, and international admissions for undergraduate and graduate students. With over 800 international students, more than 500 AU students studying abroad and a truly global faculty, AU provides its students and community with access to a world of opportunity.
Since opening its doors in 1856, Auburn University has awarded more than 300,000 academic degrees. Our Alumni Association is one of the strongest in the SEC with 45,000 members.