Domestic Employee Visa | MEET-USA.COM Portal

Domestic Employee Visa

Contact the author


B1, A3, G5

General information

Personal or domestic servants who are accompanying or following an employer to the United States may be eligible for B-1 visas. This category of domestic employees includes, but is not limited to, cooks, butlers, chauffeurs, housemaids, valets, footmen, nannies, au pairs, mothers' helpers, gardeners, and paid companions. Those accompanying or following to join an employer who is a foreign diplomat or government official may be eligible for an A-3 or G-5 visa, depending upon their employer's visa status.


Accompanying a Nonimmigrant Visa Holder

If you are a domestic employee and wish to accompany or join an employer who is not a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident, and who seeks admission to, or who is already in, the United States under a B, E, F, H, I, J, L, M, O, P, Q, or R nonimmigrant visa then you may be eligible for a B-1 visa classification, provided:

  • You have at least one year's experience as a personal or domestic employee as attested to by statements from previous employers
    • You have been employed outside the United States by your employer for at least one year prior to the date of your employer's admission to the United States, or
    • Your employer-employee relationship existed immediately prior to the time of your employer's application, and your employer can demonstrate that he/she regularly employed (either year-round or seasonally) domestic help over a period of years preceding the time their application
  • You will have no other work, and will receive free room and board and round trip airfare from your employer as indicated under the terms of the employment contract

Accompanying an American Citizen

a. Personal or domestic employees who are accompanying or following to join U.S. citizen employers temporarily assigned to the United States may be eligible for a B-1 visa classification provided that:

(1) The employee has a residence abroad which he or she has no intention of abandoning;

(2) The alien has been employed abroad by the employer as a personal or domestic servant for at least six months prior to the date of the employer’s admission to the United States OR the employer can show that while abroad the employer has regularly employed a domestic servant in the same capacity as that intended for the applicant;

(3) The employee can demonstrate at least one year experience as a personal or domestic servant by producing statements from previous employers attesting to such experience; and

(4) The employee is in possession of an original contract or a copy of the contract, to be presented at the port of entry, which contains the original signatures of both the employer and the employee.

b. The U.S. citizen employer is subject to frequent international transfers lasting two years or more as a condition of the job as confirmed by the employer’s personnel office and is returning to the United States for a stay of no more than six years. The employer will be the only provider of employment to the domestic employee, and will provide the employee free room and board and a round trip airfare as indicated under the terms of the employment contract; and

c. The required employment contract has been signed and dated by the employer and employee and contains a guarantee from the employer that, in addition to the provisions listed in item (b) above, the employee will receive the minimum or prevailing wages whichever is greater for an eight hour work-day. The employment contract must also reflect any other benefits normally required for U.S. domestic workers in the area of employment. The employer will give at least two weeks’ notice of his or her intent to terminate the employment, and the employee need not give more than two weeks’ notice of intent to leave the employment.

Accompanying a U.S. Legal Permanent Resident

U.S. Legal Permanent Residents (Green card holders) are not permitted to bring their domestic workers to the United States on a B-1 visa under any circumstances.

Contract Requirements for B-1 Visa Holders

As a domestic employee applying for a B-1 visa, you must present an employment contract, signed by both you and your employer, which includes:

  • A description of your duties in the United States
  • The number of hours you will work each week
  • The number of authorized holidays, vacation and sick days per year
  • The regular day(s) off each week
  • The rate of pay, which must be at least the prevailing or minimum wage per hour under Federal law (whichever is greater) where you will be employed for all hours of duty
  • A certification that you will receive free room and board
  • A certification that your employer will ensure that you do not become a public charge while working for your employer
  • A certification that you will not accept any other employment while working for your employer
  • A certification that your employer will not withhold your passport
  • A certification that both parties understand that you cannot be required to remain on the premises after working hours without compensation
  • A certification that your employer will pay your initial travel expenses to the United States and subsequently to your employer's onward assignment, or to your country of normal residence at termination


A3 and G5 applicants are not required to pay any application fees. B1 applicants must pay a $160 application fee and reciprocity fees depending on your country of citizenship. For Russian nationals, receipt of a 3-year multiple entry B1 visa doesn’t require a payment of a reciprocity fee.

Documents and information needed to apply for a visa

To apply for a B-1, A-3 or G-5 visa, you must submit the following:

- A Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application (DS-160) Form. Visit the DS-160 webpage for more information about the DS-160.
- A passport valid for travel to the United States with a validity date at least six months beyond your intended period of stay in the United States (unless country-specific agreements provide exemptions). If more than one person is included in your passport, each person desiring a visa must submit an application.
- One (1) 2"x2" (5cmx5cm) photograph. This page has information about the required photo format -
- A copy of your employer's visa or other method they will use to enter the United States (their Visa Waiver country passport or U.S. passport)
- An employment contract, signed by both you and your employer, which meets all requirements listed above
- For A-3 and G-5 applicants only: A Note Verbale confirming the employment status of the principal, the date of departure, the purpose of the trip and the length of stay in the United States. The Note Verbale should list the name of the employee and give the employer's title or official status. It should also specify the date of departure, and the purpose of the trip and length of stay in the United States. A-3 and G-5 applicants are not required to pay application fees.
In addition to these items, B-1 applicants must present an interview appointment letter confirming that you booked an appointment through this service - You may also bring whatever supporting documents you believe support the information provided to the consular officer.


Step 1. Contact the U.S. Embassy/Consulate directly if you are applying for an A-3 or G-5 visa. If you are applying for a B-1 visa, pay the visa application fee and follow steps 2 through 4.
Step 2. Complete the Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application (DS-160) form.
Step 3. Schedule your appointment on this web page - You will need three pieces of information in order to schedule your appointment:
Your passport number
Your MRV fee payment receipt number
The ten (10) digit barcode number from your DS-160 confirmation page.
Step 4. Visit the U.S. Embassy/Consulate on the date and time of your visa interview. You will need to bring a printed copy of your appointment letter, your DS-160 confirmation page, one recent photograph, your current passport and all old passports. Applications without all of these items will not be accepted.

Supporting documents

Supporting documents are only one of many factors a consular officer will consider in your interview. Consular officers look at each application individually and consider professional, social, cultural and other factors during adjudication. Consular officers may look at your specific intentions, family situation, and your long-range plans and prospects within your country of residence. Each case is examined individually and is accorded every consideration under the law.

Caution: Do not present false documents. Fraud or misrepresentation can result in permanent visa ineligibility. If confidentiality is a concern, you should bring your documents to the U.S. Embassy/Consulate in a sealed envelope. The U.S. Embassy/Consulate will not make your information available to anyone and will respect the confidentiality of your information.

You should bring the following documents to your interview. Original documents are always preferred over photocopies and you must bring these documents with you to the interview. Do not fax, email or mail any supporting documents to the U.S. Embassy/Consulate.

Proof of your employer's ability to pay the promised wage. Note: If you are applying for an A-3 or G-5 visa, this only applies if the employer holds a diplomatic rank of counselor or below.
Evidence establishing that your stay in the United States will be temporary.
Your contract with your employer.
Visit the Department of State's website for more information.

Additional information